TRANSLATOR

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

co-existing with AUTISM?



Every so often I upload my Autism Related Videos with regards to the different pieces of my Autism, this is using Donna Williams' Fruit Salad Analogy. So here goes.

 
 
Paul Isaacs shared a link.
 
In 2010 I was diagnosed with Autism another member of my family was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome - what it the difference? I searched, I would like to thank the help of Donna Williams who created this analogy in 1995 during her years as a consultant, it has made sense of my "Fruit Salad", this gives a overview of some of the overlap/differences. :-)




 


 
 
Paul Isaacs shared a link.
 
As a child my Mum noticed that I touched everything in the house such as objects and when I was outside in the world I do the same thing, I would lick, sniff, tap, mouth, tongue and press myself against objects trying to gain "meaning", some people on the spectrum have Semantic Agnosia (Meaning Blindness) this means that they can't gain information from visuals alone they must touch to "perceive" and "remember". Donna Williams puts it very well about the "hands being the eyes", I agree with her. :-)


 


 
 
Paul Isaacs shared a link.
 
Some people on the spectrum have a specific processing issues called Prosopagnosia (Face-blindness) this means that I cannot process faces in their totality and an inability to generalise the face and it's features. I rely on the person's voice and hair as a guide, the lenses are making this process better though.




     
    Paul Isaacs shared a link.
     
    Some people on the spectrum cannot processing body language and it motivations behind the movement, gestures and facial expressions, this doesn't mean we are aloof or lack empathy it's just that we ultimately have a different pathway to gaining information and emotions. (we do not lack emotions or empathy).




       
      Paul Isaacs shared a link.
       
      Some people on the spectrum do not have visual memory in this video I explain from personal experience of only "seeing pieces of visual information" never "wholes", I "forget" visual information easily because of this but I can remember people for example from their voice/accent.




         
        Paul Isaacs shared a link.
         
        Some people on the spectrum have problems with reading and comprehending written/typed pieces of information leading to confusion this can co-exist with dyslexia which I have also, written text can be over-whelming for some people on the spectrum, breaking down the information is a good idea.




           
          Paul Isaacs shared a link.
           
          Some people on the spectrum are "tone deaf" meaning they do not process of perceive the "meaning" of inflection of the voice (the ups and downs to convey a specific point), this means that some autistic people can be confused by implied language and/or just don't process it - it's important to get the communication profile correct with people on the spectrum




           
           
          Paul Isaacs shared a link.
           
          Some people on the spectrum have various visual processing issues, many are visual thinkers, but there are others like myself who are not visual thinkers because of specific visual processing issues.




             
            Paul Isaacs shared a link.
             
            Some people with Autism have an Auditory System that picks up too much detail but sometimes not enough comprehension, this can be very distressing in places with high amounts of auditory stimulus, (some of which will be MUCH louder to a person on the spectrum.



            Paul Isaacs

            Paul Isaacs

            Dear All My Name is Paul Isaacs I was diagnosed with Autism in 2010, Scotopic Senstivity Syndrome in 2012 and have had Dissociative Disorders recognised also.

            As I child I was non-verbal and didn't gain functional speech until late infancy (7 or 8 years old), I went through mainstream education.

            As of 2010 I have beeng promoting awarness of Autism on Youtube I would like to help others on the spectrum (where ever you are on the spectrum) to live happy and content lives, which I believe is a basic human right.

            Donna Willaims "Fruit Salad" Analogy 1995


            Contact Information




             
             
             
             
            "Life on the Autism Spectrum can be ENJOYable."

            No comments:

            Post a Comment

            Thanks for sharing.